So I started a new job on Monday — a positive development, aside from its possible impact on my blogging. Today I don’t have all the answers, but I do have some thoughts, and some questions.
Remember my post on that last ten pounds? Yeah, well. I still haven’t lost them. I don’t care, really, except the fabulous new wardrobe I bought for work a couple of years ago doesn’t fit. I’m small-boned and my work clothes were very tailored/fitted. I think it’s possible I could lose some weight now that I’m walking a lot more and not sitting at home with my BFF the cheesecake, but there’s no guarantee.
I’m also working in a decidedly less formal (but still Washington, DC) office. Not Big Law, but no capris, denim, sundresses, or sandals either. The hierarchy is fairly flat, and with the exception of my boss (the CEO, formally dressed in suits for her many meetings) most of the women are wearing simple sheath dresses or dress pants/blouse combinations. My work is more back-office, and I ‘m not really in a position to splash out on another fancy wardrobe, so MY theme is “making do,” as follows:
* three pairs of dress slacks in my current size (black, charcoal, navy)
* a few blouses that fit, the issue being my bust (trying to be as vague as possible here)
* undergarments for said … okay, fine, my rack got bigger. It’s one of the places I gain/lose weight first (not uncommon.) I’m an ample C/D right now, and would like to be back to a B/C. (Sidenote: I am stunned at the number of C/D bras that are pushup or heavily padded. As IF!!) I did buy some new bras, because poorly fitting bras are terrible, and starting the day with pretty underpinnings is morale-boosting.
* most of my blazers are … fine? I didn’t button them anyway. I’m finally working in an office at a reasonable temperature (yay!) — no huddling in a heavy sweater, drinking hot tea all summer. So now my structured blazers are a bit too much of a layer, frankly, and a bit too formal unless I need to jazz it up for a meeting.
* I’m wearing my long, silvery hair up in a bun or a twist, because I refuse to cut it. And I plan to wear some of my more interesting jewelry, rather than the staid pearls.
So, with all that … who feels like giving some fashion advice? How do I make do with these few things that fit, plus bits and bobs of my previous, extensive (much more formal) wardrobe? Should I look into dresses? I have a ton of scarves I never wear. How do you feel about cardigans, especially in lieu of blazers? I have some lovely silk ones. Have you noticed how hard it is to find work-appropriate blouses that don’t cost the earth? Why does every blouse seem to have cut-outs, ruching, or transparent panels? What is up with those tiny patch pockets on the boobs? How do I keep my overall look modern vs. stodgy or like your batty great aunt? Not that there’s anything wrong with that. Feel free to drop links into the comments if you want to recommend a website, dress source, look book, Pinterest page, whatever.
Perfume-wise I’m keeping it pretty tame — something unobtrusive that makes me happy in the heat (98 as I type this! could hit 100!) I’ve been alternating between Malle Magnolia and my old summer stand-by, Bulgari The Blanc. I haven’t been able to detect any great perfume among the 40-odd employees, but somebody is offgassing heinous Axe-quality aftershave in the hall. I’m going to hunt him down and confiscate that bottle, and introduce him to something wonderful.