I forgot Marina tagged me for Five Weird Things. I wrote the first draft a few days ago but it was too weird so I never posted it. This is less weird, plus I figure this late in the week nobody will read it.
1) I have a large scar under my chin but have no idea why. I asked my dad. No clue either. Really, it looks like the sort of thing I’d remember.
2) I have a nice turntable on which I listen to my extensive album collection. Remember when you put all your albums out by the trash? Yep, that was me loading them in the back of my car. In perhaps my greatest haul I was driving home hugely pregnant with the twins and I spotted almost six linear feet of albums, tied up next to somebody’s garbage cans. The trash truck was coming down the block. I could barely walk, but I waddled over to them, trying to figure out if I could drive my van over the curb. The trash guys pulled up, took one look at me, and did the heavy lifting for me, which was sweet.
No, I am not going to list any albums. Too embarrassing. Oh, FYI — the fact that I pull the car over in broad daylight in front of the neighbors’ trash to retrieve treasures (a doll’s high chair! a wading pool! a perfectly good chair!) causes my beloved Big Cheese a great deal of emotional pain.
3) Okay, some random picks: The B-52s. Chuck Brown and the Soul Searchers. Kate Bush. Nat Cole. Alfred Deller. Bob Dylan. The Fabulous T-Birds. Herbie Hancock. Etta James. Wanda Landowska. Pretty much the entire Lynyrd Skynyrd oeuvre. Shriekback (one of the all-time under-rated bands.) Jai Uttal. Yes, they are alphabetized like that.
4) I was born with no wisdom teeth, a trait which I am happy to report I have passed on to at least two of my kids. I like to think of myself as being more highly evolved than average. Of course, the music listed here would tend to contradict that.
5) I didn´t walk until I was 2 ½, because I wouldn´t put my feet down on the ground. My parents have a series of hilarious photos of me as an infant and toddler with my feet stuck up in the air as far away from the grass, dirt, carpet, etc. as I could get them. The only time I am barefoot is in the bath. I have an entire collection of beautiful, different-weight socks just for sleeping. I feel about socks the way some people feel about fancy lingerie. Does the Big Cheese find this sexy? No, he does not. Which reminds me of the only other time I take my socks off.