We need to de-skank the blog after Friday´s … emissions. So today´s post functions like those good old smudge sticks in Santa Fe, clearing the air with its sweet breath of sage (insert your favorite New Age incantation here). Let´s play a game, based loosely on something that happened to me recently.
My friend comes over to visit. We chat. She says, surveying my sample vials lying around everywhere, ugh! This perfume thing of yours! She just can´t stand perfume. I’m puzzled. She explains – she´s been squirted umpteen times by those gals at Macy´s, most recently with “something called Baby Fat” (although she´s thinking she must have heard the name wrong), and she´s smelled a couple of Lancomes, and some things by that Lauder woman. Nothing moved her. Perfumes are boring and they all smell the same.
No! I say. They´re wonderful. Look, I´m going to make you up some samples. You might not fall in love with any of them, but by the time you´ve smelled all of them you´ll definitely see how beautiful they can be. Dosage: wear one a day and call me next week.
So. What should I give her?
I tried to stay away from my great loves that are weird or skanky, because I remember how difficult I found them initially. (I could be wrong, though.) I tried to highlight different notes in my choices. Finally, I tried to pick things that maybe aren´t universally loved (what is?) but do seem to please large numbers of fragrance fans. Remember, I´m trying to get her to join the cult. Here´s my list.
- Fendi Theorema EDP
- Creed Fleur de The Rose Bulgare (waffled between that and MDCI FK2, another lovely, friendly rose)
- Laura Tonatto Eleanora Duse (a dark violet, one of my first loves when I was starting off, although I was torn between that and something lighter, like L´Artisan Verte Violette)
- Caron Tabac Blond EDP (how to find a great leather that isn´t too much? This is stunning, although I thought about SL Daim Blond too…)
- L´Artisan Passage d´Enfer (what if she gets that weird liver note? But it´s lighter and cleaner than many other incense frags; maybe Heeley Cardinal instead?)
- Guerlain Apres L´Ondee (powder/iris/anise/nectar of the Gods/Guerlain/so sue me)
- Donna Karan Chaos (woods, although that’s a bit of a cheat, isn’t it? FdeB? What’s a clean woods frag?)
- Houbigant Apercu (this is very perfume-y, sort of a cleaned-up Mitsouko, but I´d feel weird not including one floriental)
- Divine by Divine (a monumental white floral that doesn´t scare me; would Malle Carnal Flower or even Piguet Fracas be better?)
- Bvlgari The Vert (a great tea that´s everywhere; thought about L´Artisan The Pour Une Ete instead)
Clearly this list reflects my biases, and there are some problems here, like fragrances that are discontinued and/or really hard to get ahold of. There are also significant holes – where´s the amber? The musk? Something gourmand? What am I missing? What would you have chosen?
bottle image: bottlesandscents.com