I’m sorry to tell you, I’m sick. A sinus infection that had me drive three hours home today in a state of semi-delirium/dubnium/Deuteronomy. You see my problem? So, to save my throbbing grey matter, I’m going to list ten things I love the smell of – or that I’m longing to smell soon – when spring finally gets sprung and rolls into glorious summer. You do the same please.
1. A plate of olive oil seared (and home grown, of course) pimientos de Padron, sprinkled with sea salt and consumed rapidamente.
2. Pavements/sidewalks drying oh too quickly after a late summer downpour.
3. The earth I scrape from under my nails after digging/ planting/sowing.
4. Sliced jalapenos.
5. Basmati rice, simmering.
6. Monsooned Malabar coffee beans, poured into the grinder. Or sitting on the seat next to me in my car, on the way home from the store.
7. Dogs’ paws. Any dogs’, though some are better than others.
8. Daphne bholua ‘Jaqueline Postill’, at its best right now, that sits by the front door and hits you with its intense voluptuousness on arrival home.
9. Matt. Anywhere. Anytime.
10. The scent of expectation.
Your turn please.
Photo of Daphne courtesy of the oh so wonderful Cambridge Botanic Gardens, UK.