Awhile ago, Luca Turin did this great post on which 10 fragrances he´d grab to take with him on the rescue spaceship (or whatever) right before the Earth was destroyed by a giant meteor. Maybe there´ll be a swap program on the planet you´re going to, but the idea was these were the scents you couldn´t live without, knowing that they might have to tide you over for the rest of your life.
I nosed around in my closet recently and came up with my list, which, okay, you´ll notice contains 12 scents. You’ll also be shocked, shocked to see that it contains several Guerlains. Oh, well. There were fragrances I’m still debating — 100% Love, Ormonde Jayne Sampaquita, and Musc Ravageur spring to mind immediately — but at some point I needed to quit fiddling and pack my bags.
- Guerlain Mitsouko – my first weird love. My first Guerlain. My introduction into the whole wide world of fragrance addiction.
- Guerlain Jicky – weirder, in my opinion, than Mitsouko. Citrus and civet. Love it or hate it. When I wear the parfum, I Am The Queen.
- L´Artisan Tea for Two – my ultimate winter comfort scent when it´s rainy and crappy and I need that leather armchair, lapsang tea smell. Heaven.
- Annick Goutal Petite Cherie – yeah, it turns rancid. It smells like pears on me. It´s perfect. As far as I´m concerned, she made this one for me.
- Annick Goutal Mandragore – grapefruit and bergamot. What is not to love?
- Guerlain Philtre d´Amour – I paid some stupid money for the 1999 version. I don´t care. One of the very few fragrances I said: cost be damned, you´re mine.
- Desprez Bal a Versailles – go ahead, I dare you. Buy one of those dinky bottles on eBay for eight bucks (make sure it´s at least the EDP). Pour some on. Oh, how sweet! Sort of a Necco-candy smell and – and – what in the HELL is THAT?!?! An incense base so dark, dirty and delicious it should be illegal. I laugh out loud in pure pleasure every single time. This stuff is insane.
- Guerlain Apres L´Ondee – I wept with joy the first time I smelled it. I´ll let you in on a little secret – I like the EDT better than the parfum. Yes, it´s gone in 30 minutes but, oh! that dazzle, like a sparkler on a summer night.
- L´Artisan Tilleuls au Vent – linden, tea, liquid sunshine. This one should be called à¢â‚¬Å“Joy.à¢â‚¬? If it doesn´t brighten your day, nothing will.
- L´Artisan Passage d´Enfer – to layer with other stuff. To wear on its own. To freshen a room. To wear when nothing else will do.
- Armani Prive Bois d´Encens – I took awhile to appreciate this one. It is a stark, cold, uncompromising incense. It … frightened me. I love incense probably more than any other single note in winter, and this one is magnificent.
- Malle En Passant – yeah, yeah, I know – the lilac, the bread, the cucumber, the rain- if you are tired of reading about it but still haven´t smelled it, buy a decant already. Make sure it´s an atomizer. Spray it on. Walk the walk. I have smelled this a hundred times or more and, like my four-year-olds, I never, ever get tired of the story.
What would your list be of Top 12 Best Perfumes to Take to Mars?
The winner of last week’s Oilily Papillon drawing was… Karen! Email me your address via the Contact Us button at left.
image of meteor strike: www.batse.msfc.nasa.gov