My brother has presented me with a challenge, so I, of course, turn to all of you to see what I’ve done so far and to see if you have suggestions or additions.
Tom opened up a bar and grill recently, which is is doing an amazing business in a tiny town in Kansas called Hoxie – everyone loves his food because he’s a great cook – and he barely has time to sleep, though he is as happy as a clam, It’s one the most fun place in the
town world to go — one of those places where everyone does know your name and people talk all around the room to everyone in the restaurant instead of just across their own table. I attribute that atmosphere to Tom’s personality, which is outgoing, brash, irreverent, and he’s one of the funniest people I’ve ever known. The logo for the bar is “Beer, Burgers and Bullshit,” and that pretty much is just the way it is. He does look a little like Sam Elliott, but don’t tell him I said that because he has a monstrous big ego that needs no further feeding and watering. He calls me lil lil sissah (as opposed to my big sister, Shirley, who is just lil sissah), and he is generally a charming, unrepentant rogue… and he will take that as a compliment. Of course I adore him.
Success has its problems, though. Tom would like to get rid of the Eau de Grease scent that often follows him around, and he also likes to think of himself as a stud (*shrugs*). He wants me to put together a “Sam Elliott Sampler Pack” full of all the scents I think Sam Elliott would wear, which would then be perfect for him.. I want it to be a wide variety of types, like some musk, leather, smoke, etc. This is what I’ve got so far, please let me know if you think one of these doesn’t work or if it needs something that I’m just not thinking of:
- Serge Lutens Musc Koublai Khan – it’s pretty likely he will sniff this and say something about it smelling like his pair after he’s been working all day (the language would be much more frank and graphic than my delicate version), but I think if he waits 30 minutes, he may find himself liking it – or not, but I have to be there when he tries it.
- CB Musk Reinvention – I’m iffy on this one. It will either be a big hit or a big miss, but I still think he should try it just so I can get a read on what his skank tolerance is. Since I grew up with him and worked on the farm with him and he rubbed his sweaty armpit on my head, I’m thinking his skank tolerance has to be high.
- Etat Tom of Finland – I just think this is great smoky leather scent. Since his name is Tom, he’ll like that, too, plays into his ego to wear a scent with his name on it.
- Annick Goutal Eau de Fier – This may be uncomfortably close to the smoky bar and grill smell.
- Knize Ten – Great, classic leather, plenty rugged
- Caron Yatagan – why not?
- Helmut Lang Cuiron – iffy on this one. It’s a little less rugged, but could work great for his more refined moments, if he had any.
- Ormonde Jayne Ormonde Man – for special occasions, if he ever gets an evening out or just feel, well, um beautiful for the night, in a very manly way, of course.
- Parfums de Nicolai New York – because it is subtle and beautiful and perfect.
- Le Labo Patchouli 24 – sorry, every guy on my list gets this to try. It’s mandatory, they may hate it, but I don’t care, they have to sniff it.
- Hermessence Vetiver Tonka — again, always on any guy sampler list because I think it’s elegant and addictive.
- Hermessence Poivre Samarcande – great peppery scent
- Montale Black Oud — Needed an oud in here for him to try and see if he likes it, might as well start with the killer.
- Elternhaus kowtowingtoeveryreligiontothepointthatitsoffensive thing or Mark Buxton 03 from Biehl – Despite the goofiness of the Elternhaus, I think it’s a great incense, as is the MB03 from Biehl. Both Mark Buxton, who I really ought to marry. Does anyone knows if he plays on my side of the playground?
- Cdg Incense — can’t make up my mind on this. Thinking no on Avignon and Kyoto and leaning towards Zagorsk for the woody elements, which will cover a woody scent as well
Then I have a bunch of follow-on scents, depending on what he liks here. So…. the thoughts?