But I’m gonna tell you anyway, because I am …well, I just have to, okay? So…I’d planned to do a really lovely, in-depth review of Liz Zorn’s/Soivohle Carpathian Oud. I love the cologne – it’s dark and dank and resinous, but with a floral heart that lifts the whole thing into a realm of startling beauty. I was going to make comparisons to the carriage scene in Van Helsing (which is the only scene in the movie that I remember – and that’s sad..because HUGH JACKMAN is in that movie)….I was also going to talk about my early experiences with Underworld…but here’s what happened:
1. I am in some Work Crazy. It’s Mercury. I’m blaming Mercury. It’s like talking to Venusians.
2. It got cold. Fast. 35F drop in 14hrs. That’s just ridiculous. And we still don’t have the nesting box insulated (because if I ask El O to do anything he simply Cannot/Will not do it. Perhaps I should’ve said ‘hey! you know…it’s a really stupid idea to insulate the nesting box where the eggs are going to be sitting in the sub-zero temps. We don’t need the eggs. Let’s just LET THEM FREEZE!” So I’ve been dealing with frozen eggs and a really bad attitude.
ps. did you know that chickens don’t mind cold – but they don’t like snow? I didn’t – but I do now! LOL! They fly as far as they can (about 30′) to avoid getting their feet in the snow. Weird, because they don’t seem to care much about rain….huh.. I have so much to learn
3. Because it got cold. Fast. I had to turn on the heat. My sinuses are shot. So anything more in-depth for Carpathian Oud than I’d already done was off the table. I really need to move back to CA. Forever.
4. My back is out (sciatica) – all twisted up like a pretzel. Some lengthening yoga is helping but you know how pain basically colors your entire existence? Yeah, that.
So…in lieu of an actual review I’m going to tell you about a couple of things I’ve been doing/smelling(ish)/etc
1. Get thee some Carpathian Oud. Seriously. I am not an Oud Lover – and I LOVE this. I love the cologne. The demi-absolute is a bit less floral (okay, NO floral) and it’s too oud-y for me. The cologne is a perfect balance. Liz has a great blog post on it here. I’m not a fan of vampires (more of a werewolf gal, meself) or Gary Oldman but I understand the attraction and hers is a glorious homage. She is a true artist.
2. I was in N-M, checking out their new Beauty department. It’s really lovely, though tucked back in the corner, behind the handbags…what is it with the handbags now front and center in so many department stores? In ‘my’ day, Beauty was the leader,at the front of the store, as it is so often an impulse purchase. Have I crabbed about this before? It sounds familiar. If so, forgive me. But…handbags? I’ll do the Immediate Gratification Thing about a $20 lippie or be talked into a new moisturizer in a heartbeat…but I have never bought a Valextra ‘on impulse’. Yet, more and more, I find myself having to navigate through the Nancy Gonzales exotics to get my Beauty fix – and often it’s just not worth the hassle…or it flies out of my tiny little mind altogether. Another downside to this ‘front and center’ing of handbags?? Even really upscale shops like Barneys are now locking up their bags! Oh, the humanity!!! It’s very off-putting, having to have an SA a) go get a key, b) watch you like a hawk while you spend a few intime minutes with a bag. It just feels…cheap. Anybody in merchandising here? I’d love to know the thought behind this trend.
3. While at the Beauty department I tried the LE of Clive Christian’s No1, created to celebrate the 60th Anniversary of the Coronation of HM Queen Elizabeth II. Normally not a Clive Fangirl, with all the ‘Most Expensive’ claptrap – but this is a stunning perfume! Limited to 250 ea (man/woman) and at a cost of $1200, it’d better be. Number 1: Goes to Eleven. Her Majesty gets The Best Presents! Betcha nobody ever got Her an iron as a gift. Especially if said iron was a replacement for the previous iron…that the giver had broken. Can you tell, Somebody Is In Big Trouble over here? There’d better be a damn diamond bracelet hidden in that iron, that’s all this gal’s gotta say.
4. By Terry! I love her Light Expert but was a bit nervous about her new perfume line. I needn’t have been – she applied the same care and focus to scent that she did for her skincare/makeup line. I love the Lumiere d’Epices. It is a zesty orange/jasmine combo that’s just really pretty. I am NOT wearing anything named Terryfic Oud. I don’t care what it smells like.
Winter Gardening. Fuggedabout it. Remember those cute little seeds I planted and my hopes/dreams for a cold-weather crop? Well, here’s the thing: in order for me to have a cold-weather harvest I have to be willing to go out into the garden. And guess what? Not. Gonna. Happen. I can barely get out of bed, come Winter. This freak snowstorm and sudden drop in temps just goes to prove: I am a fair-weather farmer. It’s all I can do to bring the chickens hot water and mash in the am and get them closed up before the sun sets and I turn to stone. So! those carrots will have to fend for themselves. I suck. I know.
Knitting. It’s that time of year again. I finally learned how to cast off (Missy Denise tried not to laugh as I Gomer’d my way through casting off the scarf I made for Carmine. “and you’re gonna knit an entire sweater?” she asked. Ha! I’ll show her. Just as soon as I regain feeling in my frozen hands. Because, you know, it’s COLD! he looks sooo thrilled, doesn’t he? I had to go back to YouTube to learn how to cast on again (Patty’s mantra: YOUTUBE!! YOUTUBE! YouTube is your knitting friend! She is right). I found a skein of gorgeous smoky-blue wool – perfect for a scarf for El O. If he doesn’t get that damn nesting box insulated I can always choke him with it, right? You did NOT hear that! LOL!
What’s up in your world? Is it freezing where you are? How do you manage? Do you just plow through or just stop dead in your tracks (like me)? At least I’m still doing my crunches. That’s something, right? Is it May yet?