Honestly, if it’s not one thing, it’s another.
Can’t win for losin’
Fartin’ diamonds and STILL ain’t happy!
These are all sayings from my vaunted papi. I don’t know where he got the last one (the others have been in rotation since The Flood) and why am I spouting all of these? Because I’m just babbling and….believe it or not, I am OVER the time off. LOL! yes. I am happy to be getting back to work. Alert the media. But y’all know how much I love my business, so it’s no real surprise.
But there is other ‘work’. That work is Me.
These past 5 years have been rough on a gal and I am just now crawling my way out of a depression hole that took me halfway to China (remember that phrase? “what are you doing? digging a hole to CHINA???” sometime I’ll tell you a story about that line….) anyway, I was so depressed – but it was one of those functional depressions, y’know? I could work. I could eat. I could shower. I could even read every now and again. But I couldn’t look at myself. It was a year (A YEAR!) before I realized that I somehow managed to wash my face, put on a bit of makeup and sort of do mah hurr….without ever looking at myself in the mirror. The weird part, of course, was that I had no idea I was doing (or not doing) that until one day I looked in the mirror – and I stranger looked back. That’s now in the past and I am well on the road to Me again – but it’s important for all of us to do a quick check-in every now and again. Stop and take a look in the mirror – are you present? I wasn’t – and while I now realize that it was largely a Perfect Storm of external circumstances that caused me to not be present in myself the fact still remains that I. Wasn’t. There. So…every now and again, I stop. Take a breath. Take a look. Not at my hair or skin or eyebrows. Start with Me. Look. At. Me Am ‘I’looking back? If not, take whatever steps necessary to try to get yourself back in your own game. It may be therapy, exercise, prayer….no mayhem, though, okay? Trust me, I considered it. Then my friend J reminded me that I don’t like relieving myself in front of others, so having to go to the bathroom in a prison yard is something I probably should try to avoid.
Once I checked back in I took a good look at the corporal Me. What a mess! So here are a couple of Non-Resolutions (I’m calling them Works in Progress), to get myself feeling better about how I look – and how I feel.
1. Mah Hurr. Okay. Lemme tell you something: you wanna add 10 years to your look? Let your hair go. I don’t mean color. I know some Stunning Silvers out there (March! Tamsin! Carmen dell’Orifice!). But my hair was lookin’ rough. Rrrrrufff! Mostly because I wasn’t doing more than washing it and hoping it didn’t catch on fire. Love it or loathe it, Facebook has 100,000 groups for curly hair. My favorite, Curl Crush, turned me on to a method for pre-styling for curly hair: Bantu Knots. It’s the perfect solution for lazy folks who have curly hair. And I’ve become a curly hair product junkie. I’m a daily washer (not shampoo, but I do get my hair wet in the shower and do a scalp scratch, just to feel like I’m washed from head to toe. Kiehls Olive Fruit Conditioner is my bff. The Bantu Knots for a smoother curl. That’s about the best I can do – I get exhausted just watching the tutorials! But I am not bitchin’ about the hair, either. Any hair you have on your head is a good idea, imo. But it helps if you give it a hand, y’know?
2. Skin: I made fun of Patty’s incredible research into Korean Skin Care but to be honest, I was sort of into a bit of it already. My SA Bestie, Andy, gave me a sample of the Tatcha Silk Cream. .O. M. G. I’ve never experienced a cream so…..silky. Alas, at $160 a jar it’s not going to find a home on my vanity any time soon. But it’s soooo glorious! See? Ain’t it just the way? Here I am, saying “I don’t neeeed anything more”. I lied. I need this. I did splurge on the Rice Enzyme Polisher – it’s been 3 weeks and my skin looks phenomenal. In the meantime , I almost fell out of my boots! Target (in PEORIA!) now carries the entire Laneige line.!!! Hey, a gal needed a Christmas present.
3. NO DIETS. Not happening. Instead, I have resolved to simply take a minute before I open my mouth and put something in it. I started this way before the New Year because I got tired of being sluggish and blobby. This is my approach – ymmv. But I like to have ALL the stuff I love all around me. If it’s there I don’t crave it. I remember someone telling me there are two types of ‘eaters’ in the world – those who can’t leave it alone if it’s in the house and those who don’t worry about it once it’s there – but if it’s not there they obsess over it. Do you agree with that? I know I’ve had the same carton of ice cream in the freezer since before Thanksgiving – about half of it’s still there. Just ‘having’ it seems to reduce the need for it by about 70%. My friend can’t do that. If she has a cake in the house, that thing is up at 2am, yelling her name. I may have already said this but it bears repeating: I pity the hell out of a cake that wakes me up at 2am.
4. Non Resolution: I am simply going to Live. Not planning to do anything major. Just little things, like stopping to look at ice on a branch. I am still going to bitch about Winter. I live in the Midwest and it’s cold and snowy and I hate cold and snowy. But I will take a breath and look at some beauty therein. And then I’ll get back to bitchin’. It’s -16F tomorrow, shriekage will commence.
5. Sharing. I can get a bit hoard-y about the weirdest things (you know the weirdest one? Stuff designated for Other People. Not THE stuff – but the stuff I use to make that stuff pretty. I freakin’ hoard RIBBON, for eff’s sake. Wth? I bought the damn ribbon to wrap the damn present! But…wow. It’s hard as hell to let go of that stuff. Wrapping paper – the really pretty stuff. Oooh! Note cards. I buy note cards to …y’know….Send People Notes. And then I write the notes on some scratch pad. Yes. That is just weird. So I vow to use that stuff. I promise.
So! How ’bout I commit a RAOK – and WRAP IT IN A PIECE OF PRETTY PAPER AND (gulp) some RIBBON? Tell me what you’re hoping to achieve this year – beauty? skin? within? I’ve got some fun samples (including the really interesting Byredo Mojave Ghost). I’ll wrap it in some paper…and a ribbon, dagnabit. I promise.