When one sets out to narrow down to six perfumes her favorites, what she should do instead is grab a Xanax, place her head under the pillow, hold it down firmly so nobody hears and scream until the mood passes.
But I didn´t. Instead I have come up with the list of the six perfumes that I cannot live without, under any circumstances, and which best define who I am or want to pretend to be. So they may or may not be the perfumes that I admire most as great creations, though I think all on this list are that, but they are the ones most beautiful to me. The agonies of discarding beloved perfumes from this list has been horrible. Warning, there are a couple of incidences of cheating to narrow this down…
1. Ormonde Woman. Full-bodied green velvet -think Miss Ellen´s Poitiers from Gone with The Wind, after they got made into that beautiful green gown for Scarlett. A little saucy and tart, makes you pucker sometimes, not sure if you like it or not, but inevitably its charm wears you down. Parfum version preferred, it just amps up the annoyance and the charm.
2. Guerlain Apres L´ondee. Melancholy, regretful, but completely full of hope. It is sorrow at 1,000 yards, where you can look at it and appreciate the exquisite pain without really feeling it. The numb place before the real pain sets in or after it has gone. EDT or parfum will work.
3. Le Labo Patchouli 24/Vanille 44 – Okay, this is a cheat, I know, I know! But they GO together, kids! A spritz of Patch down the front of your shirt for depth and tarry resonance and a couple of spritzes of Vanille over your outer clothes and in your hair creates a cloud of woody vanilla over that tar – truly the most amazing and comforting scent in the world.
4. Christian Dior Dorling vintage parfum. What a cold, unfeeling thing it starts off as, and you´re thinking it has no soul; it´s finicky, much too churlish and standoffish to love. That´s when Dorling brings the magic. It warms not into the most beautiful girl in the room, but the most interesting, the one you have to stop and pay attention to, sit and talk with. Anthropomorphize much? Well, this perfume seems completely human to me, and she never fails to amaze me.
5. CB Cradle of Light/Strange Invisible Perfumes Lady Day/Serge Lutens Sarrasins. Yes, I´m cheating, but any of these three could fit here, and any day will have me changing my mind. They are gorgeous jasmine treatments, and each stuns me and can keep me mesmerized all day with its beauty – sort of a hypnotic sniffing loop. Everyone has to have a jasmine on their list, unless you hate jasmine, but you should get over it and put one on your list anyway… or three.
6. Serge Lutens Iris Silver Mist. Give me that overabundance of cold, rooty iris with a dollop of spice in the drydown, and I´ll give you my unadorned and complete, lavish devotion for a lifetime. Genius, brilliant, and a joy to wear on any day of the year.
While I started off with a list of five, I had to expand it to six because none of these would exit the list. Now, as I read comments, I will find my head exploding as you guys mention perfumes that should be on this list, and there is a subset of about 100 perfumes that go beneath these that I also can´t live without, but these are the list of six´ish that I will have in embarrassing amounts for all of my life.
What´s your six?
Annoying American Idol part of Friday: Ramiele is GONE, yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mop-up items: Winner of the Indult C16 and CdG Hinoki samples are: Tom (tmp00) and Six. Just click on Contact us over on the left, and send me you address and I’ll ship you the samples!