I’ve rolled this idea around for a while, hesitating because it is soooooo much work, but I think I’ve found some ways to work it out that doesn’t require me to
hand count every vote and put it in a spreadsheet, which is the way I did it last time, back in 2007, I think it was. quit my job to have enough time to count the damn votes.
What I would love is your help on a couple of things. But wait, other things first.
I’ve got most/all the 2012 release list put together (down at the bottom of the page). I’ve skipped some incredibly redundant flankers for now, though I may put them in just to showcase the level of ridiculousness Givenchy and Calvin Klein have dipped to. I’ve got some proofreading to do on it as well, so don’t point out all my typos, I know, I know!!.
If you notice any glaring omissions – and there could be a lot! – just let me know via comments or click on Drop Us a Note at the top of the page to e-mail me. I’ve culled this list from data at Basenotes, Fragrantica and NST, as well as my personal recollection. Once you are in the 600s, they start running together. There are some smaller lines that I’ve never even heard of that aren’t on the list. I’m open to adding them, but I think I have a better idea, which I’ll ask for your help on below (keep reading)!
This is the way it will work. Perfume list is sorted by – mainstream, niche, flanker, celebrity, small/indie. We will start voting in about mid-January. Everyone will be able to vote for any perfume in the category (niche, celebrity, etc). Once the first round of voting is complete, we will take the top ten perfumes from each category and start another round of voting – the final round – to determine the winners and runners-up in each category.
Here are the categories I’ve got so far, which is expanding minute by minute. I’d love to hear your suggestions for other fun or serious categories in comments as well!
- Best Perfume 2012 – mainstream
- Best Perfume 2012 – niche
- Best Perfume 2012 – flanker
- Best Perfume 2012 – celebrity
- Best Perfume 2012 – small/indie house
- Best Perfume Women 2012 – mainstream
- Best Perfume Men 2012 – mainstream
- Best Perfume Women 2012 – niche
- Best Perfume Men 2012 – niche
- Best Perfume Women 2012 – small/indie house
- Best Perfume Men 2012 – small/indie house
- Best Fragrance House – Mainstream
- Best Fragrance House – Niche
- Best Fragrance House – small/indie
- Best Perfumer 2012
- Most Innovative Fragrance 2012 (mainstream, indie, niche)
- Most Innovative Fragrance House 2012 (mainstream, indie, niche)
- Most Freakish Fragrance 2012
- Most Likely Fragrance to Get you Naked 2012 (mainstream, indie, niche)
- Best New Perfume line – niche
- Best New Perfume line – small/indie
- Best New Perfume Line – teeny micro indie
- Best Classic Fragrance (must be at least 20 years old) men and women
We don’t need a category for Best Perfume Blog because, well, you’re here already! I do have several categories I need your help with. These are the nominations I’d love to get from you as a comment to this post. If you want to e-mail me with a nomination, please feel free to do that too!
- Best New Perfume Blog (launched in 2012) you should be reading (feel free to nominate your own blog – shameless self-promotion is a skill everyone must cultivate
- Best small/indie perfume house (if it winds up not being listed in the major nominations
- Best new micro indie perfume house
- Best Perfumer nominations
- Most innovative, freakish and likely to get you naked nominations.
- Suggestions for other categories we should vote on!
This is interesting too!
Amber Perfume is the scen...
Vetiver perfume - earthy,...
Once you are past Thanksg...
This morning, you opened ...
"Well, the frost is on th...