Woo Hoo! Let’s see how my month went for May New Idea 2023. It’s amazing how many of these samples/decants became full bottles in the wardrobe. May was hard. I really couldn’t keep my focus and trying to empty some of the larger decants takes time. You’ll notice quite a few “Nope” days, these I’ve been wearing decants but not thunking. Some of the excitement has definitely worn off, even though I am still loving getting back to these and using them up.
April New Idea $50 Surrender To Chance Voucher Winner = NEVA
Email me: portia (underscore) turbo (at) yahoo (dot) com (dot) au
I’ll send your voucher out ASAP
May New Idea 2023
A little recap for those who have forgotten.
This year I’m aiming to thunk five samples/decants a week. More if possible, there is a tonne of them here to be dealt with. Every thunk is called a WIN, because let’s face it who doesn’t need a few extra wins? These are easy wins but hopefully will give us all a sense of accomplishment that will carry over into daily life.
How It Works
- No matter what size the sample or decant it only counts as ONE win.
- To count as a win the decant MUST be thunked. Yeah, I know but this is how I’m playing it. You can have your own rules if you like.
- Multiples in a day are acceptable. So, if you empty something in the morning, another after work and another before bed that counts as THREE wins.
- Manufacturer Travel Size is not a sample or decant.
- At the end of each successfully completed month I am allowed to reward myself with a splurge from ONE perfume store. Yeah that’s right. Sure you can buy 20 things if it makes you happy but it has to be ONE etailer or retailer in ONE TRANSACTION.
I’m going to celebrate by giving away a US$50 Gift Voucher to Surrender To Chance for every successful month to one lucky random commenter. Cool eh?
So let’s see how April New Idea 2023 went…..
FiF: First in Fragrance, LS: LuckyScent, MPS: My Perfume Samples, MS: Manufacturers Sample, P1: Perfume 1, PG: Perfumista Gift, PP: Posh Peasant, RK: Ruth K, TPC: The Perfumed Court, STC: Surrender To Chance
- Morning: Hermès Un Jardin Sur Le Nil: MPS: Very little left in decant. Pretty, fresh, lightly oily. Like Posse Post
Evening: Sarah Horowitz Parfums Origin Story: MS: One of the most beautiful patchouli fragrances ever. Sublime. Raw and yet comfortable. Becomes sweeter as the fragrance progresses. L O V E
- Morning: Hermès Un Jardin Apres la Mousson: MPS: Oily water and fruit. Sounds awful but it’s gorgeous. Love Posse Post
Evening: CE: Unknown: Chocolate, maybe coffee, tobacco and stuff. It’s bloody good. DAMN! Wish I knew what it is. L O V E
- Day: Christian Dior Cologne Royale: STC 2ml: Fresh green cologne. Bright citrus and herbaceousness. Like
Evening: Viktor&Rolf Dirty Trick: STC 2ml: Iris and amber done up in a sheer wrap of fairy floss. Like
- Day: Sarah Horowitz Parfums Hereafter: MS: Vanilla rich sandalwood and amber with some bells and whistles. Beautifully crafted. L O V E Posse Post
- Morning: Creed Wind Flowers: STC 3ml: Not terrible. Lalique does it bigger, better, bolder for less than 1/10th the price. Loads of people mentioned how gorgeous it was during work last night. Meh
Evening: Giorgio Beverly Hills: original MS: So many memories! This was Mum’s top up perfume in car and handbag. No wonder it was a sensation. LOVE
Bed: DIOR Couturier Vetiver: Dark, green, twiggy vetiver that has coffee shadows. Very cool. I really love it but it’s impossible to find now. (Looking back over the May New Idea 2023 this is the one I most regret not owning)
- Day: Ineke After My Own Heart: STC 5ml: Less than a ml of thick syrup. Pale white floral that made me sneeze like crazy. So pretty. Like
Evening: Micallef Vanille Marine: MS: This sample spawned a full bottle. Salty vanilla and stuff. So bloody good. LOVE
- Morning: Aftelier Curious: MS: Dark, smoky tobacco, humus and tea with deep sweet orange notes. Love
Evening: Guerlain Songe d’un Bois d’Ete: STC 2ml: There is a bottle of this in the collection. Why do I never wear it? I forgot how oudh-y it is. Gorgeous! LOVE
- Nope: Wearing larger decants
- Day: Keiko Mecheri Tangeri: STC 2ml: Spicy suede and mossy floral. How do I not own this magnificent perfume. It’s bloody gorgeous. On the To Buy List. DAMNIT! Looks like it’s DCd, so sad. L O V E
- Morning: Juliette Has A Gun Not A Perfume: LS 2ml: I’m sure I smelled this before. Honestly, I’m not even sure what it smells of, maybe a milky amber wood?!? Amorphous. Perfect low key lovely. Like
- Day: DIOR Bois d’Argent: STC 2ml: oily dregs, smell amazing. SO THICK! This may be the whole 2ml in oils. Fortunately I have a mid term bottle and brand new Kurk. LOVE
- Morning: Guerlain Mitsouko EdP: STC 2ml: Oily dregs. So rich. Mitsouko x10. Leapt off my skin and remained gorgeous for hours, the whole day. Amazing.
Evening: Guerlain Oriental Brulant: RK 10ml: One of the most beautiful nutty vanilla’s, maybe THE MOST! I panic bought a couple of bottles when it was DCd. This decant though has had years to mature and smells heavenly. L O V E
- Morning: Penhaligon’s Quercus: MS: Mildly amusingly every time I see this perfume name my mind says “Queer Cause I’m Lucky”. If the metal silver had a scent this would be it. Citrus, galbanum and some floral/herbal stuff going on. Though not noted I smell juniper berries. Very traditional male. Like
- Morning: 4160 Tuesdays Truth Beauty Freedom Love: Unknown 5ml: I remembered loving this fruity tobacco powder bomb when it was launched. Don’t know why I never bought a bottle. The name, the scent. It’s bloody gorgeous. I wore it for IDAHOBIT Day (International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia) and have worn it every moment since to the thunk. Love
Evening: Atelier Cologne Orange Sanguine: MS: This had dried down to a dark brown oil. After about a minute it smelled slightly rancid. EW
Evening: Louis Vuitton On The Beach: STC 2ml: Over the OS I sprayed this and the rancid became a part of the clove-y greenery. It also added an extra depth to this pretty cologne style perfume that is just too expensive for what it is. Like
Bed: Bogue Noun: Unknown: Outrageously animal and forest-y. All the usual Bogue swampiness and dark trails. I love this shit. LOVE
- Morning: Robert Piguet L’Insomnuit: STC 5ml: Already on the To Buy List, just jumped about 10 spots. Sweet face-powdered woods. Unlike anything that comes to mind. Gorgeous LOVE
Evening: Deneuve Parfum by Avon: Unknown: How I love this. One of the gold standard floral chypres. LOVE
- Nope. Did finish a Perry Ellis 360 Green Shower Gel though. I bought a heap of them and the Shave Balm on deep sale.
- Morning: by Killian In The City of Sin: STC 2ml: Sweet fruity stuff, nicely done, I don’t really want to smell like this. Meh
Evening: Lalique Amethyst: MPS 3ml: I think it’s gone. There were only oily dregs and the fruit smells metallic and poopy. Washed it off.
Evening: Mary Greenwell Plum: P1: A perfect foil for the leftovers of the Lalique. Plum is gorgeous, softly fruity floral over amber. I never bought a bottle and regular kick myself for it. Still so gorgeous. LOVE
- Morning: Cartier L’Heure Convoiteé II: Unknown: Maybe someone gave me or I made it to travel. Still smells perfect. I already have a bottle. LOVE
Evening: Guerlain Rose Nacree du Desert: STC 2ml: This was the very first release and it smells bloody amazing. Patchouli, rose, oud, saffron and resinous amber. WHY did they DC this beauty? LOVE
- Nope. Finished Perry Ellis 360 Green Shave Balm.
Well, SUCCESS! So please leave a comment with something you thunked in May for May New Idea 2023. I’ll pick a winner randomly. Then announce in the next New Idea 2023 post,
What did I buy to celebrate May New Idea 2023? La Fumee Ottoman by Miller Harris. Winging its way to me as you read! WOO HOO!