My darling Posse –
It’s no secret to anyone who knows me IRL – I am not a napper. I’m dirunal AF, getting up at 4:30a in Summer and (gasp!) 6a in Winter. Nighttime is not the right time for this lima bean – I’m usually in bed (and fast asleep) by 10p. If I’m up at 11p, you know I’m stressing over something that is probably best left until morning – but whatchagonnado, right?
I’m also unable to sit still for long periods, most especially if the weather is fine; I suspect this is some deep seated Puritanical bent, ‘Idle Hams are the Devil’s Porkchop’ and all that – if it’s gorgeous out – and daytime – I simply cannot waste it being asleep. Gotta be doin’, y’know?
But every now and again the planets will align, rain will fall (or fog will settle) it’ll be a grey, cloudy day, I’ll have been Up and Doing since 3a…and the need to take a nap will fall on me like a weighted blanket. When that happens I… well, I take a nap. ps. it helps if it’s a Sunday.
So this Sunday – I’d been up since the crack of o’dark-thirty, having gone to bed at (gasp!) 11:45p because I’d given in to my anxiety about dying with an office full of outdated files and filled three banker’s boxes with paper (I do not need paperwork on sand mine projects from 10 years ago). Destruction of the paperwork, along with other stuff ahead of the afternoon rains had me worn out. So. A hot shower…and a nap.
But what perfume to wear for this nap. And making that decision? You’d think I was deciding whether to punch in the nuclear codes. Here were my considerations (and what they brought to mind): (btw – this actually happened)
- Lubin Gin Fizz. Yikes! Too sparkly..but also a tad melancholy, as sparkly fragrances are wont to do (has that happened to you, where there’s that little bit of melancholy lurking under an otherwise carefree zing of citrus and aldehydes?). Sniffing it brought to mind Princess Grace’s life and untimely passing. The fairytale…gone sour.. which then brought to mind the uncertainty of Life for us all… that’s a lot of heavy lifting for one little hour’s nap. No, thanks.
- Amouage Lyric EXTRAIT. Because, apparently, I am a Nap Masochist. This brought to mind something Patty said years ago when we were in MiN(NY) one evening, sniffing Lyric ‘it’s gorgeous but you can’t focus on anything else’ (paraphrasing there). And if you think she’s right re the regular parfum, you orta try the extrait! I probably could’ve fallen asleep wearing it but it would’ve been a dreamfest of velociraptors in mink stoles and pearls, stomping up 5th Avenue to terrorize Bergdorf – and it’s the old Bergdorf, with the dove-grey carpet, because velociraptors prefer terrorizing the old Bergdorf, just ask ’em.
- Guerlain Lys Soleil – alas, since it was raining and grey Lys Soleil formed a discordant counterpoint to the day – the lilies are nearly done, the cool, grey, wet day feels Autumnal, waaah waaaah, cry me a river, etc etc – this one almost had me in tears. So nonono..
- Obviously I’m insane and Making Up Stories – these are gorgeous scents that I love but none of them said ‘oooh! I’ll soothe your fractious soul and knit up your raveled sleave of care’
- You know what did say that? And delivered? Uncle Serge’s Daim Blond.
Longtime Posse know of my adoration for that beauty – and a rainy, 70Fs day is perfect for napping in Daim Blond. That lovely, dried apricot and soft warm suede scent is the perfect cocoon of temperance and solace, comfort without being cloying. You’re in the walled garden of a beautiful house in Bruges – you fall asleep and the housekeeper sends a maid out with a soft cotton blanket to drape across your legs as you slumber in the chaise. Later, when you awake, there’ll be cool lemonade, freshly made. But right now, right at this moment, it’s you, the chaise and the murmuring of busy bees as they forage the waning Summer flowers. At least that’s what I got, while I was plummeting down the well of exhaustion, with Daim Blond wrapping itself around me to cushion that fall. For the next 90 minutes it was just me and the (imaginary) bees ; when I awoke it was still raining, there was no chaise, dagnabbit AND I had to make my own lemonade, of course. Fantasies kinda suck that way, alas.
But it was lovely!
So! What scents work for you when you think of napping? Gourmand? Citrus? Floral? Musk? Do you have a Nap Scent? I think Daim Blond will forevermore be that Nap Scent for me, but I’m also open to suggestions.
M. Jacques would like to know (he wears Eau du Chien, that charmingly weird mashup of wet dog, wet dog farts and the allure of Living in the Moment that is the epitome of a happy, healthy, snoozing dog. If you tell him, he’ll throw your name into the rando(org) mix and poke a Winner!
and that reminds me: I owe you guys some WINNER! Sorry I didn’t reply to any of your lovely comments on the Peachy post but we were delivering parts to the wilds of Wisconsin in an unsprung 2-ton pickup. After last year’s trip (‘uh..Mike? Let’s stop – AGAIN’) I learned to drink NOTHING before boarding the Unsprung .. my bladder was grateful, lemmetellya. So was the driver.
BRIGITTE! Holla at us on gmail (evilauntieanitaAT) – and I’ll get some fun stuff to you!